Wednesday, June 22, 2011

SCOM Zombie PSA #5: Alternative Monitoring with RSS Feeds

 

     Most people monitor their systems via the GUI or Web console. Me being a little GEEKIER than others, I looked to an alternative option for monitoring alerts when having either console isn’t an option for moment. My primary monitoring is via the RSS Feed through my Outlook. Since my Outlook is open all the time and is the heaviest application used in my daytime job. When I see there is an unread update, I know there is a new alert I need to look at.

     Typically if you subscribe via the Internet Explorer it should, in theory automatically apply to your Outlook; if not you’re fully available to manually add the desired feed link in by adding the feed URL.

image

((( Yes a Transformer’s Fan boy ))))

 

     For you newbie zombies, the RSS Feed button is located on the monitoring tab. But how many of you really use this feature?

RSSFeed1

     You can simply subscribe and save the feed just like a URL being added into your browser.

image

Which looks like this for the most part in the browser.

image

    

     Now lets configure the RSS Feed to automatically update. You’ll need to open the “Internet Options” & navigate to the “Content”  tab and click on the “Feeds and Web Sites”', “Settings” button. For me I’ve set it up for the lowest possible, 15 minutes. This is great for me at my day job, since I can spend a large portion of my day dealing with emails.

image

     If you have any RSS Reader you can also use that application for monitoring as well. At home I’ve used one for my tablet, just to see if I could, and it did; just wasn’t the best monitoring for me. But RSS feeds are just the tip of monitoring alternatives.

     If you know other way to monitor your systems, please comment, love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment